Laserfiche WebLink
HRCA No. 2023-27, HRC No. 2024-01, HPPA No. 2024-01 – Moss House (944 W. <br />Buffalo Avenue) <br />March 7, 2024 <br />Page 2 <br />The site contains a 2,297-square-foot, Ranch style residence and detached garage, on a <br />12,292-square-foot residential lot (Exhibit 3). <br />Analysis of the Issues <br />Historical Listing <br />In March 1999, the City Council approved Ordinance No. NS-2363 establishing the <br />Historic Resources Commission and the Santa Ana Register of Historical Properties. The <br />Historic Resources Commission may, by resolution and at a noticed public hearing, <br />designate as a historical property any building or part thereof, object, structure, or site <br />having importance to the history or architecture of the city in accordance with the criteria <br />set forth in Section 30-2 of the Santa Ana Municipal Code (SAMC). This project entails <br />applying the selection criteria established in Chapter 30 of the Santa Ana Municipal Code <br />(Places of Historical and Architectural Significance) to determine if this structure is eligible <br />for historic designation to the Santa Ana Register of Historical Properties. The first <br />criterion for selection requires that the structures be 50 or more years old. <br />The structure identified meets the selection criteria for inclusion on the Santa Ana <br />Register of Historical Properties pursuant to criteria contained in Section 30-2 of the Santa <br />Ana Municipal Code, as the structure is 66 years old and is a sound example of period <br />architecture. No known code violations exist on record for this property. <br />The Moss House is architecturally significant as an intact example of a Ranch style house <br />in Santa Ana. The original building permit is dated October 20, 1958, which indicates it <br />was built as a single family residence and garage for owner and contractor S. Griswold <br />for $20,000, who appears to have been affiliated with the property only during the time of <br />the initial building permit. Orange County Assessor's data indicates the build date as <br />1959. The original architect is unknown. City directories were not available from 1958- <br />1959. The 1959 building permit notes that the detached guest house was constructed for <br />Dr. William M. Moss, who was also listed as the property owner in the 1960 city <br />directories. Dr. William M. Moss (1926-2018), was born in Evanston, Illinois and received <br />his Doctor of Medicine degree from University of Illinois before moving to Santa Ana in <br />1957. In 1959, Dr. Moss began his surgeon practice at the Santa Ana Community Hospital <br />and was later appointed as a board officer for the hospital in 1963 (William M. Moss, The <br />Orange County Register and The Register, December 18 1963). His then wife, Betty <br />Rupert Moss (1932-2018), was president of the Woman's Auxiliary for the Orange County <br />Medical Association and was a board member in various local groups including <br />Community Chest, St. Joseph Hospital Guild, and Assistance League of Santa Ana, <br />among others (The Register, May 29 1964). In 1976, Dr. Moss and his wife Betty divorced. <br />In the 1970s, Dr. Moss moved to Tustin and began the Doctor’s Family Planning Clinic in <br />Orange County, which offered full family planning services including abortions. When Roe <br />v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court decision to legalize abortion, came under attack in the <br />Historic Resources Commission 1 – 2 3/7/2024