Laserfiche WebLink
French Park Historic District, Santa Ana, CA Orange County <br />MPt F«m (Hm <br />tm. TQii coi$ <br />United States Department of the Interior <br />National Park Service <br />National Register of Historic Places <br />Continuation Sheet <br />Section number Page <br />Spurgeon Building, <br />and 40's. <br />James and Phrona Alexander lived there in the 1930’s <br />912 N. Garfield St. Goodwin House Colonial Revival 1923 <br />A side-facing gabled roof, with large caps at the peaks, tops the <br />single-storied Goodwin house. A matching front-facing gabled porch, <br />supported by round wooden columns, is placed off-center in the front <br />facade. The exterior is clad in metal siding, not original, which is made to <br />look like wide wooden clapboards. A pair of newer multi-paned doors and <br />a narrow sidelight are centered beneath the porch roof. Metal-framed <br />double-hung windows ai'e located on each side of the porch. <br />Louis Goodwin, a local barber was the original first owner of this <br />Colonial Revival style house. By 1931 Shannon Eller, owner of the Orange <br />County Tile and Mantel Company, and his wife, Mabel, lived in the house. <br />In 1933 the house was bought by Santa Ana's oldest church, Spurgeon <br />Methodist, for use as a parsonage. Rev. Cecil Aker (1933) and Rev. Karl <br />Heilman (1941) and their families were among the occupants who lived <br />here while serving their tenure at Spurgeon Methodist. <br />916 N. Garfield Adkinson House Craftsman Bungalow 1923 <br />The Adkinson House is one four single-storied houses in a row built <br />in 1923. Narrow clapboard siding covers the exterior. The front-facing <br />gabled roof features a matching offset front porch, supported by paneled <br />elephantine posts resting on brick piers. A double-hung window, flanked <br />by narrow double-hung matching windows, is located on the south side of <br />the front door, while a pair of double-hung windows graces the north side. <br />Narrow panes of glass, with square panes in the corners, border each <br />section of each window. <br />Russell and Pauline Adkinson were the original owners of this <br />Craftsman Bungalow. They owned the Collins Nursery on N. Main St. <br />By 1933 Harry and Laura Siemonsma lived here. He was the service <br />manager for J. MacMullen, Chevrolet dealer, at 120 W. First St. <br />  <br />    <br />